Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Home Grown Music

I've fallen in love...
well, I've always loved gardening, loved growing gourds, and loved music, but a few years ago I came across a video about the Kora. I immediately fell head over heals for this remarkable instrument. I had to make one of my own. Believe me... it's harder than it looks! Growing a gourd large enough takes finding the right seed. then, a whole year for it to mature. a plant started from seed in March, planted out @ April/May will produce a usable Calabash by October. If growing conditions a perfect.      

      
They grow like MONSTERS! one plant can easily cover a patch of earth 10'x20' and then some, producing perhaps only one or two useable fruits. This past year I managed to grow a couple that were large enough, but sadly only one made it to Korahood. It was from a Giant African Bottle seed I managed to find on Amazon, Robs Giant seeds  because of its shape I had to preform major surgery. I called it, FrankenGourd!
But finally! At long last... I had my resonance chamber for my very own Kora! I may perhaps put together a how to post, but I would direct you to Dennis Havelena if you want to find out more now. 
This year Im ready! built a support covering almost half of the garden to support more Monsters! 
So to date, this year I've managed to build only three, these two made from either half of a bushel gourd I'd grown a few years ago and my FrankenKora! Size makes all the difference when it comes to the sound. the larger the better.and while I need a WHOLE lot of practice, I think I've got at least one song down!


No comments:

Post a Comment