Wednesday, April 6, 2022

The Crack

 

Just had a Wonderfully invigorating chat with some friends on line about Art and wanted to share a brief  experience highlighting how we creatives are sometimes alone in our appreciation of things. Back in 2007-08 when my youngest was 3, my sister and family came out for a visit to California. We took them on a whirlwind trip from Yosemite, all the way down the coast to Morro Bay. While in San Francisco we visited Golden Gate Park. The New DeYoung museum had just been completed and I was dying to see it, but I knew my wife, kids and visiting Family would have been board to tears. So I settled for just walking up to the entrance. I noticed a crack in the pavement on our way. I thought, this is deliberate. the crack continued into the courtyard of the main entrance and as I witnessed, it  run through Huge stone Monoliths set for setting, turned sharp deliberate corners and wonder around the area I thought to myself, "Andy Goldsworthy?" Sure enough, upon reaching the entrance there was a marker identifying it as "Fault line"by British Artist Andy Goldsworthy! I must have Squealed like a little girl! "Andy Goldsworthy!" I shouted. "Andy Who?" My family replied. What's the use. no mater how much I might try to explain how deeply his work inspires me and elated I was to actually be experiencing an Actual Goldsworthy piece, I just let it go.


https://youtu.be/g1UpH5-5JJ4

Here is a video on the execution of "Fault line" at the DeYoung. Just one of those random life moments I cherish and wanted to share. 

1 comment: