Wednesday, April 13, 2022

What a difference a few years make

Eleven of years ago I made a post about what is a masterpiece, What is art https://samkirkman.blogspot.com/2011/05/what-is-masterpiece-what-is-art.html?m=1

It’s been about that long since I’ve read that piece and today, eleven years later, I’ve about decided I was full of it! I’m a bit embarrassed over what I wrote. I railed against artists like Tracy Emin. And while I still feel the charlatan artists exists, that does not necessarily apply to Tracy, or Damian Hurst or Jeff Koons. There is A LOT I do not agree with in their approach and execution. I still value most highly those who’s own hand applies to their work, but I must admit that sometimes it takes a group effort. Case in point, Damian Hurst’s wreck of the unbelievable Damian Hurst’s Wreck of the Unbelievable

I watched the documentary on Netflix like everyone else, and I was astonished! I can’t say I swallowed hook line and sinker, but at first I do admit I was awestruck at this “incredible find”but like I said, was reticent to believe. And then, suspicions confirmed! As the style of “art” that had been “recovered” from the sea, was incongruous with my knowledge of Art History, and as the program proceeded, I had the most pleasurable Aha! Moment. I rejoiced in being “Hood Winked!” When the “corral encrusted” goofy and Micky statues and Walt and Micky were revealed “I knew it!” I shouted out loud! What a ride! And when you dug in and unpacked everything that Damian had done… I honestly think it was this Work that changed my mind about conceptual art. So I re-examined the work of the likes of Tracy Emin and others and like a breath taken from a new set of lungs saw their work much differently. I can appreciate the highly personal expression “My Bed” was. The snapshot made unflinchingly public of a point in her life that was so dark, so ugly. Yes Art is more than painting pretty pictures, and even though I can’t say I enjoy certain works of the conceptual scene, I can appreciate having been encouraged to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment